Wednesday, April 29, 2015

CRR (Beloved)

So in class we have been reading this novel called “Beloved”. This book is very weird, but it is also very interesting. The novel is about slaves that escaped and became free and this one ghost named Beloved haunted her mother Sethe’s house because Sethe killed her when she was a little girl. In class today we had a Socratic Seminar where we discussed the question whether or not Sethe was justified for killing her baby girl or if she was just wrong. I feel that Sethe is not wrong for killing her baby girl because in that time loving something as hard as she did was a sign of weakness because as slaves everything little thing you had could be easily taken away from you, including your children. Sethe was the type of person that couldn’t help but love hard and as a mother it’s your natural instinct to love your children after you have carried them for nine months and gave birth to them.I believe that Sethe’s love for Beloved really showed and shined through from the moment she slit her throat because in her mind she couldn’t bear to see any of her children go through what she went through. In her mind she just thought about keeping her children safe and she rather them be dead, safe and happy in heaven than living, ultimately wishing they were dead and depressed. If I were in Sethe’s shoes I would have done the exact same thing because if I thought anyone was coming for my children and I had no way to protect them and the only way I could get them out of harms way is to kill them, I would rather it be me to kill them out of love than a slave master killing them out of hate.

2 comments:

  1. Was Beloved mad at her mother? Did Sethe know she was being haunted? Who is the narrator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. After reading the book, I wonder why more slaves didn't kill themselves or their children out of desperation.

    ReplyDelete